This recipe is perfect for those days when you’re in the mood to bake but an entire cake/24 cupcakes/a dozen cookies seems excessive. This super easy recipe makes just 6 delicious vanilla cupcakes…the perfect amount if you’re living alone or baking for two.
Small Batch Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 60mL butter, softened
- 125mL sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3mL vanilla extract
- 250mL sifted flour
- 6mL baking powder
- 1mL salt
- 90mL milk
- Preheat oven to 375F and centre your racks.
- Line a cupcake pan with 6 liners.
- Cream butter in stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed, gradually add the sugar in 3 portions, beating well after each addition.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in separate bowl.
- Add ~1/4 of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture, beat well, then add ~1/4 of the milk. Mix well. Continue alternating additions between the dry ingredients and the milk until they have been completely added. Make sure to begin and end with dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter among the 6 muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack before frosting.
Small Batch Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2-3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Cream butter on medium to high speed for around 3 minutes.
- Add icing sugar in small additions, blending after each.
- Add vanilla and blend again.
- Add milk and blend. Use more milk if you want a smoother frosting and less milk if you want a stiffer frosting that will hold its shape.